Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The rich colors of autumn yarns

I really love the autumn when the air is crisp and clean and all the gorgeous, rich colors return. Sure, I always look forward to the whites and brights of summer, but after a few months I get bored and embrace the change to the deeper shades. We've been getting some terrific new yarns in from Cherry Tree Hill, hand-dyed by Cheryl Potter, and I thought I'd share this newest arrival.

Cherry Tree Hill Organic DK feels and looks wonderful. It's created using only "green dyes" on 100% wool yarn -- which makes you feel good about using it. (Knit "green dye socks" to help reduce the carbon footprint of your...uh...footprints.)

Organic DK is certified in Canada (my home and native land) and is produced only in limited edition batches of 50 skeins for each color. So you know you're getting something that's going to be a collector's item. Oh! You get a free sock pattern with every order, and that's always a good thing, isn't it?

Thinking of autumn colors, I thought I'd share with you one of the new masterpieces I picked up while I was at the monastery. Again, the artist is my friend Brother John. His art is becoming so popular that I noticed signs in the gift shop that said, "Brother John/Tony Zuber. Ohio's gift to Gethsemani." Isn't that nice? He has been drawing for just a few years and I notice that his work just keeps getting better and better. Well, I guess it goes without saying that he's divinely inspired!

No comments: