Thursday, April 22, 2010

When the Turkeys Come Home to Roost

Here's something you don't see everyday. A turkey sitting on a deck. This is my Mom's deck...and my Mom's turkey, I guess. She and my step-father have named her "Ladybird."

Ladybird arrived a couple of weeks ago and has decided to move into my parents' yard. They rather like having a pet turkey.

The males used to show up all the time, but have moved on for the summer. They left their wives behind to fend for themselves, and this one decided she wanted a nice house on a hill, away from traffic and dogs, where turkey feed will be delivered to her twice a day by servants, one of whom also sings love songs to her. (My step-father can come up with a song for every occasion. I suspect he's singing Lionel Richie songs to Ladybird.)

Anyway, my Mom and Ralph have a turkey. They love their turkey and they feel honored to have it. This truck driver has a duck.

Maybe if more people had more fowl they'd be less...uh...foul. Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

No comments: