Friday, January 28, 2011

Preparing for (a romantic) Valentine's Day

I know some of you ladies are thinking champagne, chocolate and romance. Not me! And this could explain why I don't have children. (Okay, this and several other factors...including the petition by my family.)

For Valentine's Day weekend, I've planned a romantic little getaway for Alex and me...and the monks of St. Meinrad Seminary. Yes, we're driving five hours to hear some monks sing Gregorian Chants (or Plainchant, for you purists out there) and we'll be staying overnight in the guest house. I'm pretty sure we won't have a king-size bed. And there won't be a heart-shaped tub.

St. Meinrad is known for their wonderful music and I've been wanting to go there for a long time. When I read that astrophysicist Bernard Haisch was once a student at the seminary college, well...my nerdy little heart almost skipped a beat. I couldn't think of a better place to spend a romantic weekend.

Once I'd booked time at St. Meinrad, I felt like I was cheating on my good friend, Brother John. He's the sweetest monk you'd ever want to meet, and I've been feeling guilty that I didn't get to spend any time with him this summer. So Alex and I will drive another few hours for a couple of days at Abbey of Gethsemani. Alex has already stocked up on some Canadian beer for our friend, so he'll be especially happy to see us.

You know...it's a darned good thing I married Alex. He's the only guy I know who'll follow me around the world, from monastery to monastery, while I continue my inner journey to peace, self-enlightenment, and monk-made fudge that's laced with a double dose of bourbon.

2 comments:

Jan Darling said...

Indiana and Kentucky? Not even a nice, warm place? Oh my!!! LOL! I hope you enjoy your trip.

Laurie said...

Chanting monks, fudge and bourbon? Sounds like a great time to me! :-)