Monday, October 24, 2011

You'll want to knit Barbara's latest shawl

Readers of KnitchMagazine.com know Barbara Rottman from her wonderful reviews of yarns and patterns and her column, "Purls of Wisdom." Barbara's been knitting a very long time and is one of the most talented knitters I know. She really knocked me out with the gorgeous shawl she created for her son's bride. Shelli is of Indian descent, so Barbara made a magnificent lace shawl in the traditional bright red worn by Indian brides. I'll have to post a photo of it when I get one.

Today Barbara impressed me with her latest creation: a shawl for Shelli's birthday. It's a pretty piece called Tasha Tudor that was designed by Nancy Bush and can be created using any nice worsted weight yarn. It's available free online.

Barbara used a Paton's yarn in this version, but she suggests Caledon Hills worsted would be terrific. I think so, too, because Caledon Hills comes in so many gorgeous colors. We have 68 shades to choose from so you're bound to find one you love. I really like the Peacock because it's a shade that is really popular this autumn...and I always like teals and turquoises anyway. (Oh! I see we have more of the Peacock on the way. And the Slate, too. They're very popular this season.)

Another yarn Barbara suggests is Filatura Di Crosa's Zara Chine. She recently reviewed it in Knitch Magazine thought it was fabulous. It's a fingering weight yarn so Barbara suggests it be combined with a nice sock yarn. A variegated one would give a great effect.

If you want a really warm and pretty shawl that is youthful in style and not difficult to make, I suggest you follow Barbara's advice and give this one a try.

No comments: